We currently have several summer internship opportunities for motivated, dependable, and energetic individuals. You will learn many aspects of a wholesale nursery including production, plant culture, shipping procedures, back-end logistics and customer service. The internship positions offer full-time hours over the summer months (May – August) and a competitive wage.
Interns rotate through each of department at the nursery and gain experience in each of the following areas:
- Shadow and work with Section Growers to maintain plant quality and assist in daily duties
- Learn plant and pest identification, culture and habit
- Gain experience with scouting, watering and availability
- Work with the Section Grower of Propagation to learn the most suitable technique for the propagation of perennials, herbs, annuals, and ornamental grasses
- Gain experience working with seeds and Unrooted Cuttings
- Learn plant and pest identification and watering techniques
- Shadow the Section Grower of Propagation to understand use of software for planning, label printing and organization
- Gain experience working on mechanized transplanting lines
- Learn proper methods of plant preparation and handling
- Learn appropriate planting techniques for various plants
- Assist with offloading plants to assigned greenhouses
- Shadow Production Director to understand use of software for planning and scheduling
- Learn about logistics and software utilized to process orders and ship to customers
- Assist in processing orders and loading of plants on to shipping racks
- Gain experience with pulling teams and various stations in shipping process
- Learn about customer satisfaction and sales, logistics and routing, marketing tactics and human resources; opportunity for customer visits.
Entry Level Seasonal Nursery Worker – which includes the following responsibilities:
- Growing Support: Carry out the cultural and growing requirements of specific growing department at the direction of the Section Grower. Tasks may include cutting, sticking, dividing, seeding, transplanting, watering, pruning, carrying, moving/spacing plants, weeding, labeling, dumping plants, covering/uncovering plants, and other growing and maintenance tasks for plants in the greenhouses and nursery, selected poly-hut/shade-hut areas and other assigned areas. Ensures work processes are followed and are current and accurate. Handles day-to-day work challenges and allocates time effectively, properly prioritizing job demands. Performs job duties in a thorough and dependable manner.
- Order Pulling: Supports order handling process throughout the shipping season by selecting plants from greenhouses, nursery areas, selected poly-hut/shade-hut areas and other assigned areas, to stock the Supermarket. Tasks include working on pulling crew, reading a Master Pull report to determine which plants to pull from designated locations, selecting, carrying, and loading plants appropriately onto nursery racks, dropping racks off to the Supermarket, and passing on Master Pull reports to the Shipping Department. Prioritizes workload to maximize productivity.
- Operational Assistance: Ensures the cleanliness and organization of the growing area, including daily cleaning within areas worked, maintenance and storage of tools and equipment, stocking necessary supplies, returning plants to proper locations and maintaining a neat and orderly appearance of the area.
Our company, customer base, and our convenient location:
Millcreek is a wholesale grower committed to supplying high-quality container-grown perennials, herbs, ornamental grasses, annuals, succulents, and shrubs. We have a wonderful team of people who work hard every day to supply a top notch product to our customers, who include independent retail garden centers, farm markets, landscapers, municipalities, and public horticulture entities. We are located in Ostrander, Ohio, just 10 minutes north of Dublin and 30 minutes north of the O.S.U. campus. We are within a brief commute from many of the Columbus suburbs including Powell, Marysville, and Delaware.
What we produce and how we do it:
Each year, we produce more than one million finished plants in facilities that include over 95 greenhouses covering 192,000 square feet. In addition, our Propagation Department produces over 700,000 starter plants per year. We are equipped with a 3,200 square foot automated Production Facility with two transplanting lines to maximize efficiency in our plant production. We began using our newly built Shipping Facility in the Spring 2020.
Join our team as an Intern - apply online now