Seasonal Experienced Nursery Worker
Join our team as a seasonal worker - apply online now!
Come join our fun crew and enjoy some great perks including:
- Competitive Wages
- Flexible Schedules
- Plant Discounts
- Great Team Culture
SEASONAL EXPERIENCED NURSERY WORKER
Millcreek Gardens is hiring for our Experienced Seasonal Nursery Worker position. The Experienced Seasonal Nursery Worker is largely responsible for providing operational and logistical support to the growing departments on a daily basis.
Job responsibilities include:
(1) Growing Support & Plant Maintenance/Protection. Cutting, sticking, dividing, seeding, transplanting, watering, pruning, carrying, moving/spacing plants, weeding, labeling, dumping plants, covering/uncovering plants, and other growing and maintenance tasks for plants in the greenhouses and nursery. Support and/or assist in plant protection and pest management in the growing operations area, including scouting and identifying pest problems.
(2) Order Pulling & Shipping Support. As needed, works on pulling crew, reading a report to determine which plants to pull from designated locations, selecting, carrying, and loading plants appropriately onto nursery racks, and dropping racks off/passing reports to Shipping. Carries out order handling tasks for customer orders shipped and picked up throughout the sales season, including preparing plants for shipment, picking individual customer orders using a report, retrieving/transferring plants to/from designated racks, applying custom pre-printed adhesive stickers to individual plant containers, participating in building racks for use in the shipping process, processing racks for shipment/watering/applying shrink wrap, loading/unloading racks from trucks and retrieving tags from storage areas.
(3) Production & Offloading Support. As needed, carries out production and maintenance tasks including transplanting, tagging, assembling pots/trays, loading plants onto racks, soil handling/using hoist/using pallet jack, retrieving tags, pruning, moving/spacing plants, watering, fertilizing, weeding, unpacking incoming plant shipments, and covering/uncovering plants. In addition, may also assist with offloading/unloading of newly transplanted containers and flats of plant material into greenhouses, nursery areas, selected poly-hut/shade-hut areas and other assigned areas to support the Production process.
(4) Additional. Ensures the cleanliness and organization of the growing areas, effectively communicates, fosters teamwork, provides exemplary customer service, addresses changing business needs, and maintains professionalism at all times.
· Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
· Experience: Minimum of 3 months of agricultural experience handling both manual and mechanized tasks.
· Equipment: Ability to drive.
Entry Level Seasonal Nursery Worker – which includes the following responsibilities:
- Growing Support: Carry out the cultural and growing requirements of specific growing department at the direction of the Section Grower. Tasks may include cutting, sticking, dividing, seeding, transplanting, watering, pruning, carrying, moving/spacing plants, weeding, labeling, dumping plants, covering/uncovering plants, and other growing and maintenance tasks for plants in the greenhouses and nursery, selected poly-hut/shade-hut areas and other assigned areas. Ensures work processes are followed and are current and accurate. Handles day-to-day work challenges and allocates time effectively, properly prioritizing job demands. Performs job duties in a thorough and dependable manner.
- Order Pulling: Supports order handling process throughout the shipping season by selecting plants from greenhouses, nursery areas, selected poly-hut/shade-hut areas and other assigned areas, to stock the Supermarket. Tasks include working on pulling crew, reading a Master Pull report to determine which plants to pull from designated locations, selecting, carrying, and loading plants appropriately onto nursery racks, dropping racks off to the Supermarket, and passing on Master Pull reports to the Shipping Department. Prioritizes workload to maximize productivity.
- Operational Assistance: Ensures the cleanliness and organization of the growing area, including daily cleaning within areas worked, maintenance and storage of tools and equipment, stocking necessary supplies, returning plants to proper locations and maintaining a neat and orderly appearance of the area.
Our company, customer base, and our convenient location:
Millcreek is a wholesale grower committed to supplying high-quality container-grown perennials, herbs, ornamental grasses, annuals, succulents, and shrubs. We have a wonderful team of people who work hard every day to supply a top notch product to our customers, who include independent retail garden centers, farm markets, landscapers, municipalities, and public horticulture entities. We are located in Ostrander, Ohio, just 10 minutes north of Dublin and 30 minutes north of the O.S.U. campus. We are within a brief commute from many of the Columbus suburbs including Powell, Marysville, and Delaware.
What we produce and how we do it:
Each year, we produce more than one million finished plants in facilities that include over 95 greenhouses covering 192,000 square feet. In addition, our Propagation Department produces over 700,000 starter plants per year. We are equipped with a 3,200 square foot automated Production Facility with two transplanting lines to maximize efficiency in our plant production. We began using our newly built Shipping Facility in the Spring 2020.